National Report on Schooling in Australia 2012
Funding Australia’s schools
This section provides information on six main areas:
1. Funding arrangements for Australian schools in 2012
2. Funding overview of government and non-government schools in 2012
3. Government school funding and trends
4. Non-government school funding and trends
5. Capital expenditure on government and non-government schools in 2011–12
6. Overview of My School financial information for the 2011 calendar year.
The report provides an outline of government (both Australian and state/territory) funding arrangements for each of the school sectors.
In line with state and territory government budgets, government school funding is historically reported on a financial year basis. The financial year reported is the period 1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012. This is referred to as 2012 funding in this section of the report.
Non-government school funding is reported on a calendar year basis and reflects funding and expenditure for the 2012 calendar year except for data sourced from the Report on Government Services (ROGS), which are calculated for the 2011–12 financial year. (The cost per full time equivalent student derived from these financial year figures uses the average of the full-time equivalent student numbers for the 2011 and 2012 calendar years.)
Part 8.6 of the report provides high-level profiles of recurrent funding information for the 2011 calendar year published for individual schools on the My School website. These data were released at the same time (March 2013) as My School non-finance data for the 2012 school year. My School calendar year finance data will always lag by one year relative to most My School non-finance data.